What’s OFTEC’s role?
OFTEC establishes the standards for competence within the domestic oil heating and cooking industry. By ensuring the quality of people and businesses working in this area, OFTEC maintains standards for reputable companies and consumers alike.
The association also helps to shape the future of the oil-fired equipment industry within the UK, the Republic of Ireland and Europe.
- Promotes excellence in the oil heating and cooking industry by setting standards for manufacture, installation and maintenance of oil-fired appliances for the domestic consumer
- Produces technical information for those installing and/or commissioning oil boilers, oil storage tanks and related equipment
- Publishes technical standards for domestic oil heating equipment, and issues OFCERT© certificates to validate products manufactured in accordance with the OFTEC standards
- Represents the views of the members to UK and Irish Governments, to the European Commission, to the Building Research Establishment, British Standards Institute/CEN (the European Committee for Standardisation), the Environment Agency and to other bodies
- Provides recognised training and assessment of installers through OFTEC-approved centres for training and maintains a register of technicians under the competent persons scheme
- Informs consumers and technicians about the benefits of using oil (kerosene and bioliquids)
Every two years, OFTEC hosts a major, national exhibition and an award ceremony – The Oil & Renewable Energy Show and the OFTEC Awards for Excellence. OFTEC’s regional events bring members and OFTEC registered technicians together.