This part of the site contains information for people installing, servicing
or specifying heating equipment
OFTEC's registration service for heating technicians
OFTEC is licensed by the UK government to provide a ‘competent persons scheme’ for heating technicians. Becoming registered with OFTEC will allow you to self-certify your installation work, without the need to have it checked by local authority building control (where applicable). OFTEC registration also demonstrates your professional competence to your customers and gives you access to the wide range of other services and benefits offered by OFTEC.
OFTEC publishes technical books and other leaflets to provide professional guidance for our registered technicians. We work closely with training providers and inspect the work of technicians to ensure they meet the highest standards of competence and safety. We also work closely with the regional authorities in Scotland and the government of Ireland where different local arrangements sometimes apply.
OFTEC offers a number of scopes of registration, covering the different types of work heating technicians carry out:
- OFT10-101 - Single stage pressure jet servicing and commissioning, which covers the most household boilers
- OFT10-102 - Domestic/light commercial servicing and commissioning of vaporising appliances, which covers vaporising appliances such as cookers and stoves
- OFT10-105E - Installation of oil-fired combustion appliances, which covers oil-fired appliances such as boilers and cookers
- OFT10-600a - Installation of oil fuel storage and supply systems, which covers oil tanks, associated pipe-work and equipment
- OFT10-201 - Servicing and commissioning of oil and bio-liquid fuelled multi-stage pressure-jet burner fired commercial combustion appliances up to 2MW, which covers commercial appliances up to 2MW
- OFT 107 - Installation and commissioning of unvented hot water storage systems
- OFT 103 - Full Scope Electrical Part P - for technicians carrying out domestic electrical work.
- OFT 15-108 (W/D*) - Installation and commissioning and servicing of solid fuel burning appliances (*wet and dry)
- OFT 501 - Solar Thermal Systems - Requirements for contractors undertaking the supply, design, installation, set to work, commissioning and handover of Solar Heating Microgeneration Systems
- OFT 504 - Heat Pump Systems - Requirements for Contractors undertaking the supply, design, installation, set to work, commissioning and handover of Microgeneration Heat Pump Systems
- OFT 505 - Biomass Systems – Requirements for contractors undertaking the supply, design, installation, set to work, commissioning and handover of Solid Biofuel heating Systems
Our network of approved training and assessment centres offers courses covering OFT10-101, 102, 105E and 600A.
To find out more about our registration services, visit:
- The benefits of OFTEC registration
- The steps you'll need to take to become OFTEC registered
- Who needs to register
- Apply for OFTEC oil registration
- Apply for OFTEC solid fuel registration
- Apply for OFTEC renewables registration
- Apply for OFTEC Part P registration
- Apply for OFTEC PAS 2030 registration